RE: Fwd: [CBQ] Away from home accomodations

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: Fwd: [CBQ] Away from home accomodations
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:02:59 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1345824186; bh=mkU4TYPhAhECC2rb1GjW6reDNmws7k9ka3zjDm0fSeI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:References:In-Reply-To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=ACF5wslrmulfk3BqCnU5nFIRmHhF+trQThDeud2Fx9jy2PRP21zqXl/oA8435rPXjP9ZQMVT7aBIk4dez6ITVA8zEy0wx40kRHetODnYmwt6FLMEc96ZaVizwtcQnVDO
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Is the reason the C&I pool was based in Aurora perhaps an artifact of the C&I being built in 1872 as an independent railroad by Francis Edward Hinckley with the urging of James Joy  (not a construction company for the CB&Q) and operated as such until the CB&Q bought it in 1882.  Originally built to bring the IC traffic from Iowa off of the C&NW at Freeport to the CB&Q at Aurora (prior to building the Aurora-Chicago line the IC had also routed its trains down to the Q at Mendota, up to Aurora, and on the Aurora Branch to the G&CU into Chicago over the St. Charles Air Line (the full line that connected to the G&CU at Harlem).  Most people don’t know about the IC using the CB&Q from 1852 until the IC’s own line from Freeport, the Chicago, Madison & Northern, was finally completed to Chicago in 1895.   I have never seen a photo of an IC train on the CB&Q for this 43 year period!!!

Charlie Vlk

I believe the Aurora Div,Savanna pool was unique to the entire Q system in that the "home" terminal was not home. The C&I pool ran between Cicero and Savanna,IL. The supply point for the pool was Aurora,IL which was also the physical home for most of the lodge members.