Re: [CBQ] Re: Fwd: Fire Insurance Efficiency tests

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Fwd: Fire Insurance Efficiency tests
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 12:05:50 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1345737960; bh=K5wFK1AYdOU+3aG/ykrxWep2mqpVU9KUjY+CmcjsI9Y=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=ilglmr+2W3QdbXHGSQR49uwUROxnv8l9wDOvSJImgh2LGJepQsgKklhb0AGR952KGllZBFfrc/m4rTDHjKQXc89CexUTjYqnzl9p+6G0AdMGrW44oMgfmGsCtDSSvGro
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Thanks Chuck for your perspective...As a "middle..actually quite low" management person..Asst. Trainmaster I would agree 100% with your assements of the "bad VS Good eggs"...I've got a couple of anectodal accountss to relate regarding this topic, but I don't have time to work on them right now, but here's one on the subject of "Coniving with the Cash fares"...I always strive for alliteration, but can't always make it work out.

From 1908 1917 my grandfather "traveled"  as what were known as "drummers"...ie traveling salesmen for the Lincoln Drug Company out of Lincoln, NE.  His territory was western Nebraska, Wyoming South Dakota.  He claimed to be the first man to drive an automobile in the State of Nebraska as a traveling salesman, but most of his travels were via CB&Q passenger, freight and mixed trains.  Through this early association with the Burlington he made personal friendships with many of the traimen, dispatchers, Trainmasters, Superintendents etc.  These connections served him well as to "getting things done" when he was President and General Manager of the Rock Port Langdon and Northern RR from 1917-1946.

He often told the story about...One day he was on the passenger train which ran from Bridgeport NE to Guernsey WY.
The conductor came through the train after taking up his tickets and sat down by my GF.  He was in a "grouchy" frame of mind and GF asked him what was the matter...

Conductor's response..."There's a show in Guernsey tonight....and wouldn't you know  it that  "EVER S O B on here has got a ticket'!!!!!  I don't think he used the initials...but since this is a family oriented forum...I'll leave the proper interpretation to the reader.

I'll take questions from anyone who doesn't "get it"

Pete