Re: [CBQ] Fwd: Fire Insurance Efficiency tests

To: "CBQ yahoo" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Fwd: Fire Insurance Efficiency tests
From: dhartman@mchsi.com
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:20:02 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1345655944; bh=LRAVx3GABJw2+EXmJBgvMrSwVgtvWPygCgzZmI7WCGk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-rim-org-msg-ref-id:Message-ID:X-Priority:References:In-Reply-To:Sensitivity:Importance:To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=I4VeW1+MscbMn4cvzRUQ4EHa18PcdvzjpYKEiSSFZF3XCfd1nST0L1I3UpMp9KKtRhI0ewsQrpPA7cdcszIVcbh3Zh5nyfuI2jUlBAT74PgAFxA9qLggLuoP5m4p9TW5
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

And to anticipate comments that those fleabags were a step up from overnighting in waycars or roundhouse bunks - two points:

First, we still had "company accomodations" in the 70's. In suburban service, most jobs were 12+ hours with time to catch some sleep in the middle (when off duty). The CUS basement bunk room was, charitably, primitive. The bunk room out at 14th St was, literally, rat-infested. Most people didn't bother to try to nap, made some use of the off time and just had shorter sleep at home.

Second, the point is the RRs were 30 years behind the times (and were allowed to be). What were acceptable working conditions in 1940 did not apply in 1970. Nearly every other industry had evolved.

Doug