Re: [CBQ] Fwd: Fire Insurance Efficiency tests

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Fwd: Fire Insurance Efficiency tests
From: dhartman@mchsi.com
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 09:15:06 -0500 (CDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1345644908; bh=6+awsxz9fDsAPXGrM+UQPMY7Jyri52DL4/9Dt76u5Vo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=nK9Wm19YZxMPv276UVHmg482b/dHNw9Na5afk0+tduuBLEGjkpuPzqukDJJ2AHx6cWnQ0RUrwr2ZGrIctd0RzVR6qGXDWXISnHaHOS7VyqDizFEvHSRncsikNYWLc42H
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo, random tests? I wonder, too. It was no secret about how some people left
Savanna eastbound. I think it was all an early version of "don't ask, don't
tell" and get the train over the road.

I think it's difficult for someone not "in the life" to really appreciate some
of the situations crews were put in. Savanna again 1970's: flophouse boarding
("hotel" Radke rooms were a bed and a sink, one bathroom per floor, no air, TV,
etc), two very greasy spoons, three bars. And nothing else. If you didn't play
cards in the bars there wasn't a lot else to do. And there you were for
anything between 8 and 24+ hours. And I remember a few times coming in, being
told the lineup showed we'd be there at least 12 hours and very likely more,
having a few at Gene's Oasis, going to bed and then being called right on the 8
hours (which, of course, meant you were called at the 7 hour point). Arghh.

When the long pool started and we were put up in a modern type of hotel in
LaCrosse (what normal people routinely expect) I couldn't believe the RR was
finally arriving into the late 20th century.

Doug