RE: [CBQ] Silver Streak Zephyr

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Silver Streak Zephyr
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 10:44:33 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1344440679; bh=RuDhF+YiNwBl3zab63RMH6JeS+3WmyDmgo8OebmTbYk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:References:In-Reply-To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:thread-index:Content-Language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Reply-To:Content-Type; b=AXniQqcpNazUcJo2LfFNzzwr/gfGu498SUducrl45gdgHpcMY9Bt2ZThOOiBHfuo2XHrX+TjkleY7AkFgpaoKEGY8D4HsyVPAxDVZI0A1g83NDnF6HFKHqg1Yq/UWZyg
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Brian-

No, the marketplace (consumers) have decided that Kato USA HO products don’t sell.   They have done similar  items in HO that sell well in N and observed from the sales figures that their market is not in HO.  They continue to make HO items but sales are a fraction of what they are in N on a item to item basis.

Not every company should be in every market.   Kato, for example, IMHO, should not be in the freight car market because they do not have a production profile / mentality to support numerous releases of many roadnames with a range of roadnumbers.   Their production model is an item release once every few years with perhaps 2 roadnumbers for 6 roadnames.   It is their “way” and their company.   If they had more frequent production they would have gotten around to your pre-72 ATSF SD45s…..it wasn’t because the Kato USA researchers/staff were unaware of the attractiveness of that (and the other 100 that those units could be painted) scheme.

It would be interesting if they decided to tool up the Silver Streak Zephyr as a set (like Fox Valley did with the Hiawatha) and see what the market response would be.   I fear that more people would find reasons not to buy it then would step up to the plate to support it.

Charlie Vlk