Re: [CBQ] Osceola-Des Moines branch?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Osceola-Des Moines branch?
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 07:38:06 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1341153489; bh=hlyqAFMw69PoLTGMG5RCpImkAFm4wbBNm+UpZu7W1yM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=r/hSre+Oo1do1K8WyFGeBQ/e90e/smykNgEeFVUJDpIQ8kTZyXqpzzKP3uIqq0Ss2woYMwKg083m6HUug7yJWqqqwWtFb9Jd3N//5OJj7crTrFgwdp22TiWJcH/jBVwB
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Eric
The best publication so far is the North Western Lines  from the CNW HS  came out in 2009 and is all about Des Moines(Sometimes you have to cross over to get the info you need)
The most direct route for the CB&Q was over the CGW from Talmage Jct just east of Creston to Des Moines
The line from Osceola went north then hooked west to Truro before again heading to Desmoines
The line was abandon in three sections with trackage rights over the CGW and Q trackage removed 10/29/37 Des Moines to Burch 2.48 miles
Truro to Burch was removed 12/1949 with the ok for abandonment all the way to Osceola but the Truro to Osceola was not removed until 7/57
My track charts do not go back that far being the last set the Q put out in 1966 the above dates are from the Ottumwa Div Chart dated 1/6/60 and may not be the same as the ICC Abandonment date approvals were oked.
With the building of the Red Rock Dam the Albia to Des Moines lines of the Wabash and the Q were put together by the government with the dispatching swapped every three years.  And the Wabash train crews were not happy with their own dispatchers.  While working the Ottumwa Desk in Galesburg for about 7 years second trick we converted the branch from train orders to track warrants and the NS gave the line to BNSF in return for line haul by BNSF between Hannibal and Des Moines but they kept a switch eng at Des Moines.
Retired and do not know how the job works now
Steve in SC