Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 5086

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 5086
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 08:39:40 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1335015587; bh=wKvWeAebYCPm9D10Pkg+MXzeG5u0T264lEKIx67E5g4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:To:References:Message-Id:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=slWIKB4WLpP0dBrIfheOWDJM4lNYHB0ntYG8gJdA9H/VO5EtMVauXraKdaE2LlO9B3ilSntiDzSYOuWW8BJ1Ff0h5QiesAK3AYkDUcSsPX7FgEqdhIyc24K1mUahh5Qi
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Jan,

When you say "plate", are you talking the glass on flat bed scanners? Some scanners don't use a plate. I believe the high quality Nikon scanners are that way and I just purchased a Plustek 7600 that doesn't use a plate.It scans directly to a CMOS chip the same way that a digital camera does. The Plustek uses an LED light source. That is one of the reasons that I bought it and I have had excellent results for my purposes. Supposedly, it can scan up to 7600 dpi. I usually scan 300 dpi to an 8x10 target in TIFF format for archive purposes. I also produce a JPEG for everyday use. I am using Vuescan software, but the unit comes with Silverfast which to me is more difficult to use. I am planning to upgrade the Vuescan software so that I can archive photos in RAW format.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO