[CBQ] Re: Existing Q Structures & Equipment from Savanna to the Twin Cit

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Existing Q Structures & Equipment from Savanna to the Twin Cities ?
From: "Joe" <mp36er@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 17:38:35 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1333388318; bh=JyxwNiF3VUeWmUpU5xeZ9wRkkw3n+3SczHKPNQjhOcg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=cCC5c/8V6gMR2JyzSN7sVtV0GVMB1Hxl1w/6x7pdAry3lZAybAWo0YQ/1/4zYB26t5D9sV7BAxFgNlAsD0tNCOv+a9i36XnGwWNrAXpRvE/9hquQjszOVpDZqkHbwqrG
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The museum within the Milwaukee Road car in Savanna has somewhat irregular
hours. I lucked out one day I was up there and it was open. Somebody would have
to check the hours posted on the car, because it's not posted anywhere online.
There are a lot of photos and artifacts from the Q and MILW in Savanna. If
anyone remembers that Santa Fe boxcar in the weeds along the tracks in town,
that was removed sometime last year.

The box depots at Prairie du Chien and East Dubuque still exist as BNSF MoW
facilities. Also, just south of Prairie du Chien, the old CB&Q bridge over the
Wisconsin River is still standing, though the rails are cut at both ends and
trains only use the newer parallel span. You can see and get some great
blufftop shots of the bridge from Wyalusing State Park.

Somewhere between La Crosse and St. Paul is an ice cream parlor inside a
caboose along the tracks called Squished Pennies, but I don't know exactly
where it is. I saw it while riding the SP 4449 train down from Minneapolis in
2009.

Joe LeMay

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com