[CBQ] Re: The Colorado Curmudgeon Speaks

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: The Colorado Curmudgeon Speaks
From: "smokyjoe66" <js08ws62@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 03:45:41 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1333251943; bh=Zaw1fK9UVduZEgG1fErn3iX2SM8nNjHlBy27ymFau8Q=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=TXLzQKeWlfMefEg8cWcVlAhWXTitcjvnchCwDcXaJJujNyAOhnIcjnNOPYATaBONB00Kpvaxw69YB2ZWhyZwzuoDyinUJIyvEBkmmvnbKMBrduYp8sDZg0k7dm+XLjQP
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

On Friday, March 30 Jim Sandrin offered the following in a posted message. " My
hope is that Four Ways can get their act together concerning color quality.
Their last couple GN books were not something I'd include in my resume'. After
half a century of photography and two decades working for a commercial printer,
I have some experience here. There is still an audience for well done
half-tones if they provide the needed coverage. COLOR FOR ITS OWN SAKE IS JUST
MORE 'NOISY, SHINY CRAP' THAT HAS BECOME THE NEW STANDARD FOR PUBLISHING" .
Happy Trails." [Emphasis added]

I would like to second those sentiments.  Some of the recent color
reproductions are unforgivably dreadful. On the other hand, black and white
photos in books oftentimes come out better than the original handheld print. It
is just not true that newer, color and bigger is always better.

When a potential author of a railroad book arbitrarily confines themselves to
color they are depriving themselves and their readers a wealth of material:
virtually all photographs before 1935. What a waste!

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com