[CBQ] Review of "Waycars"

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Review of "Waycars"
From: "Gerald Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 23:13:46 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1332458031; bh=ORxxDUhLdrjEFSygJj35e62e8oMJx4QOzMQPAwbtpBQ=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=OezIV4+0NTk3PrPb25wWFj6gLmuJC6AKDMTQWJdiSrVrapw6wQgdB587h/3CpBMvSFedtSubbJZy+BI8ynC9y04pGZihrcIhnDNBvoKT2qtv/01WgIAIlLyCJgijf5J7
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
"Wow" was a highly accurate one word review.  I'll add a few facts, figures and
observations for those who need same AND where to buy it!
What is nearly 8 pounds, has over a 1000 photos (yes, over one thousand, many
in color & a majority unpublished), over 100 drawings from over a dozen sources
plus have such waycar tidbits as Aladdin lamps, potbelly stove print, Railway
Gazette excerpts, ancedotes & assignment sheets?  "The Burlington Waycars" by
Danniels, Reis & Douda!
This is a massive work, years in the making and what is most impressive to me,
using approximately 130 sources ranging from BNSF, museums, libraries and such
notables &/or familiar Burlington names as Gib Allbach, Jim Boyd, Ray
Buhrmaster, Bernie Corbin, Ed DeRouin, Jim Ehernberger, Bill Franckey, Bill
Glick, Archie Hayden, Al Holck, Bob Hundman, Dick Kindig, Richard Kistler,
Roger Kujawa, John LaRue, Bud Linroth, Dave Lotz, Ken Martin, Cordell Newby,
Leo Phillipp, Bill Raia, Karl Rethwisch, Jim Sandrin, Lou Schmitz, Jim
Seacrest, Jim Shaughnessy, George Speir, Charlie Vlk, Phil Weibler, etc.  AND
of course the two men who laid the groundwork back in 1978, Dan Holbrook &
Steve Lorenz.
  I vividly recall the announcement of the original Waycar book in 1978 as I
was CB&Q Editor of NW Prototype Modeler magazine run by the late Bob Longo at
the time.  Bob, for marketing purposes, wanted Dan & Steve to title that
pioneering work "Burlington Cabooses".  He was talked out of it!  But thanks to
Bob, Dan & Steve, a very good book was created that now sells at a premium on
eBay & at RR shows.  Mine is VERY well worn!  However softbound books nearly 35
years ago are a far cry from current quality hardbounds.  Randy Danniels has
proven with his annual Burlington calendars he understands the advantage of
expensive paper, quality printers and skilled photo manipulation.  The new
"Waycars" is about related to the original as a 'vette is to a Model T.
  Photos jump off the page, many are gatefolds, full bleeds, duo tones AND
glorious color.  The handful of marginal pics are cited as such as being the
only surviving examples of early waycars.
   The book is organized in 19 chapters with an extensive appendix.
Chapters cover early Burlington waycar development, all the CB&Q classes, 75
pages on C&S and 50 pages on FtW&D.  (2 normal railroad books in themselves).
IF this had not been self-published by Randy's Milepost 206, it would have been
greatly condensed.  You would not have the many detail photos, in color, inside
& out of wood & steel waycars (an NMRA modeler's dream!).
    What really impresses me though (& I am still only part way through it) is
that photos include a lot of non-roster style.  Like "Granger Country" this
gives the reader a feel for railroading in the 1900 to 1960 era with many
consists, depots and other background detail in the photos.  You see mixeds,
steam, diesel; even a Rock Island switcher towing a Q waycar.  Stories are
great too like a trip down the Carthage branch.  After awhile you smell the
potbelly stove, feel the sway of the car & creak of the oak sideframes.  The
foreword states that if you like the book thank the contributors.  I can only
imagine all the correspondence, trips and calls that were made to get every bit
of data and every good photo and drawing that could be had.  The wait has been
well worth it (& as my son Lee figured out, those who made a deposit have seen
a 41% appreciation, beating the stock market!)   BUT, if you did not reserve
one, you either go to Milepost206.com or the following Hobby Shops:  Al's Hobby
Shop, Elmhurst, IL; Caboose Hobbies,Denver, CO; Classic Trains & Ferrari's,
Paducah, KY; Colorado Railroad Museum, Golden, CO; Des Plaines Hobby Shop, Des
Plaines, IL; Jim's Junction, Billings, MT; Karen's Books, Vista, CA; The
Hobbycraft Shop, Burlington, IA; The Original Whistle Stop, Pasadena, CA &
Whistle Stop Trains, Portland, OR
 The press run is small, allocations were limited so it's either buy one now or
like the original "Waycars", Goen's "FtW&D" or Hol Wagner's "Colorado Road",
pay double for it at a railroad show or on eBay in a year or two.  In any case,
this book raises the bar sky high for rolling stock coverage of any railroad
just as Bill Glick's trilogy did for heavyweight passenger cars.  Thanks to all
who contributed.  "Wow!"
Gerald

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com