[CBQ] Re:Pullman and sleeping cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Pullman and sleeping cars
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:40:03 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1329410411; bh=/3BmvrPpAbUbqfcm105ktJtRnuQuG9kZMR8bMcmUVsw=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:To:References:Message-Id:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=gsogFLd/5zA+GJAoxPMqdbvnjIBWIxDl8oHtd1NcWuwngtd5XWc3EY05jeY8Zo0gb2M52oaFJpqpGRHuWy5Ov7bvr5SzV8HyAYK644NU1SZXGHwPGz0zazAuJlIcP0pW
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Jim,

I find that an interesting source is John Strauss' Burlington Route Passenger Trains Volume 1 has some great information on train consists including specific dates and specific consists including car numbers/names and car type. In some cases, only yhe normal consist is shown without car names, but including car type. In other cases, the specific locomotive and each individual car is shown. I don't recall the source of his info, but it appears accurate and certainly usable from a modelers' standpoint. I don't have volume 2, but assume it provides the same info for later era trains.

Bill Glick's books show cars generally assigned to Q trains, but keep in mind that Pullman could substitute cars depending on maintenance requirements and available cars. Also, remember that cars assigned to the Q at one time, may have been assigned to other railroads at a different time. Sometimes, cars were even renamed when they changed RRs.

I suspect that during WWII, all normalcy went out the window. The military often commandeered cars and traffic was way beyond normal activity. particularly compared to the decade before when traffic was really down.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO