Re: [CBQ] Interesting Discovery

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Interesting Discovery
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 19:54:38 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1324871680; bh=n6+YHBQwdB0/e3y+zXJgooe6MnAKbsEF/GOjOkHDN3I=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=drubR6s9tRC55zwJ9EX2l7m8VvojQrWN87ijO+oBZS/baZ6wrOAqlJxq6FXBBlBQVDdSpyedf+DQWKLHgRnVzyoFTbAv/QWaEKgDDY9pkW2cvy9veUx7MnXAiDFAXa7M
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

All bridges on the Illinois River between La Salle/Peru and Joliet had to be rebuilt when the Illinois River was channelized in the early 30's.  Both the Q bridges at La Salle and Ottawa were rebuilt with the towers to lift the span which is now moveable but had been non-movable.  The Q had a 125 foot thru girder  swing span over the I&M Canal which carried the Q Main over the canal until it was filled(?) in the early 30 with the canal having been replaced by the now navigable river.  All the highway bridges also had to be replaced and the old Hillard bridge which carried the highway across in down town Ottawa was rebuilt in the 70's  and some of the truss was saved and on display in the city park below the new highway bridge.
Too bad some of the old BN bridge can now be saved.
Steve in SC