RE: [CBQ] Re: The naming of sidings

To: CB&Q Group <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: The naming of sidings
From: HOL WAGNER <holpennywagner@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:54:04 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1324569246; bh=Nqd7vXXJhwuPxK/qO02bk139Dhmz+yGsSiD2+gsFlIU=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=Lr+6QRgarDJHIHheD4HmF3x+QNUE4BibbNEeCHiHvbw7KpIu3JLOGq4hAZcR+qe5V/6K0Ett4IcrjoGouwOixNp2D4+27X7M1Mn3x7/setKGdHLlmWp/BQ7sLXfKWUPV
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Here's a bit of text from the 1899 chapter of the history I'm now completing of the first 10 years of the C&S (1899-1908, before the Q bought the company) that deals with naming of two C&S sidings in southern Colorado:

Trinidad superintendent F.C. Webb wrote [general superintendent] Dunaway on March 18, “We are badly in need of a passing track between Barela and Beshoar, and another between Barela and Adair.  The distance, you will note, between the former stations is 13.6 miles and between the latter, 12.2 miles.  Emery Gap side track should also be lengthened about 900 feet.

“I have picked out locations for the passing tracks between Beshoar and Barela, and also between Barela and Adair at a point where it will require very little grading.  It will also require only a small amount of grading to lengthen the side track at Emery Gap.  On account of the increase in our business on the New Mexico District, and the long trains which we are now handling with double headers, our trains are from time to time suffering serious delays on account of the lack of passing tracks.

“Will you kindly consider the matter and advise if I am authorized to put the tracks in.  It will require a very small amount of team work to do the grading.”

Dunaway concurred, had Webb prepare cost estimates, and on May 10, Trumbull issued Extraordinary Expenditure Authority No. 9: “Referring to your letter of the 28th ult. in regard to putting in additional passing tracks as follows: One between Beshoar Junction and Barela, and one between Barela and Adair, at an estimated cost of $1000 each, including the old rail to be used.  Also to extend Emery Gap siding about 900 feet at a cost of about $250.  This will be your authority to complete the work at the above estimates.”

An interesting aspect of these siding projects was the selection of appropriate names.  In that regard, Webb wrote to Dunaway on May 2, “Mr. Teodoro Abeyta called upon me last night, asking if we would not name the new side track ‘Abeyta’ which we are putting in between Adair and Barela, after him, as he has a ranch within about a half mile of the place.  He is at present one of the county commissioners and a very influential Mexican in this county.  I would suggest that we comply with his request, as the name is not a very long one and no doubt he will be glad to reciprocate sometime if we should call upon him, which we will not have any hesitancy in doing.

“The other side track between Beshoar and Barela, I think we had best name “Frijole,” as the creek which runs near the side track is known as Frijole Creek.  It is a Mexican locality, and no doubt this would please them all.”  The 1899 version of political correctness would be anything but politically correct today!  At any rate, Dunaway on May 4th authorized A. Zimmerman, superintendent of bridges and buildings, to have the sign boards painted and shipped to Webb in Trinidad for installation.

While my manuscript is full of stuff like this, it will likely never be published, at least in traditional form, because it is over 2 million words long and is still not finished -- and more material keeps turning up!

Merry Christmas to all of you!  I've got a foot of fresh snow in my suburban Denver yard right now -- though not on my driveway, as I've already shoveled it twice this morning.

Hol