[CBQ] Re:Winton Engines

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Winton Engines
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 08:43:58 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1323614653; bh=II6d/org5INBaed4PVgtnwt7xNjG1UkDBt3YBQFObcM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:To:References:Message-Id:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=tgANYTBN1L2sw/t7Sqj5NY/gskMFlfel0f4L0pVibz4X6Tuc2AzyiE88PDmt2LGyc5+oli4fnvFnSxa1GfH0cLhynf6FXtGq0tVMk7zdsr7An5sjWB5tgKTI/HvoiLLz
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Andrew,

As someone else mentioned, parts is the big issue. Neither EMD nor anyone else has parts for a 201A since maybe the mid 1950's or earlier. Compared to the 567 and later models, the number of 201A's built was far less. Here is a link to an article that Preston Cook wrote that appeared in UtahRails.net.

It provides a fine history of the 201A engine and the reasons why it would be very difficult to restore one. I am surprised the the FDNY fireboat operated as late as it did. They must have had an extensive warehouse of parts. I suspect that in addition to being obsolete by today's standards, they were also running out of parts to maintain the engines. I hope that they preserved both the fireboat and the engines in it.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO