[CBQ] Mileposts and viaducts on the "C&I"

To: Q <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Mileposts and viaducts on the "C&I"
From: Michael Matalis <mmatalis@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 15:21:20 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1320614494; bh=ROshGlbw3LHLjdRavljpw/HWhR6rOf/q9J0j3E6C0+o=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=XltxWSsN3zf4sKSo8YxCdjOHUC5/57bSY0kzrOotz18tCPpGN5qu0o8kwOyLQxedmU4m9JsLKCh5JePz+8Q8tX25O7cocUjDV/tvT117L+91fs3gGv4YrTzEibMBnCcJ
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I was out Friday catching action on the BNSF around Steward IL (BNSF
mp 77.3) on the Aurora Sub and noticed a small decrepit concrete
viaduct just west of Steward Rd in the vicinity of former connection
with the Milwaukee Road.  The viaduct is in sad shape and has been
reinforced with I-beams, which unfortunately obscures some of the data
cast into the concrete. On one side I can make out a "something 83"
and other clearly has a "19. something".  I'm not sure what to make of
this, off the top of my head I'd say that the "19.something" is a
milepost marking, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense since 19
miles in either direction puts you out in the middle of nowhere.  Any
educated guesses as to what I saw? The "something 83"might be part of
date, is it possible for a concrete viaduct that old to still be in
service?  They built stuff to last back then.

Thank you kindly,

Michael Matalis
Downers Grove IL

You can see my railroad photography blog at
http://www.chasingheavymetal.com/blog/
You can see my photos and my ugly mug at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prairierailfan/sets/

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com