[CBQ] Uniforms and Stuff

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Uniforms and Stuff
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:53:44 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1319597636; bh=LRguhKTktjNDOa25xAwwGwG9YsLNXew45GR+Yp6DS1I=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=XRPW7irTKklwSLEHmUe4p18QvzueuQRIZomT94MIbmUvZv95peQdah3dRT3yYWAYV1HIK0ZWE0PtmJvs8e9VigtzOX+HhO9cNmcivv5y/b3mpsXzmrtBX/s0VaYyRqdl
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Mitch,

I am currently working on a future BRHS Zephyr article that has unifrom
reimbursement as a sidebar discussion.
Rather than get into the details here I'll just summarize.

Passenger uniforms were required for all trainman in that service. Over
time the costs went from 100% employee responsibility to 100% company. It took
 about a hundred years.

Now lanterns were another story. You paid for your first one when you hired
 on. It was deducted from your first check. Yes I'm talking about even in
the  1970s. Then when you destroyed it by dropping it trying to catch a grab
iron or  as more than one guy did, by using it as a wheel chock in an
emergency,you  simply brought it to the crew caller in it's forlone and damaged
condition and  traded it on a new one. Now come to the crew caller and say you
lost the  old one,oh well pay up again for a replacement. Lantern batteries
were there for  the taking until that system got abused and then you had to
trade in the  old for a new one.Lantern bulbs were available for the asking
but they were  always in short supply. They were handed over the counter as
if they were  gold.

Switch keys were issued for the asking. Or sometimes you had to hand in the
 old thing to trade up to a new model.

Leo

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com