[CBQ] Rochelle,IL

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Rochelle,IL
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 00:29:07 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1315456154; bh=Io0Qf/rwC45Gvqv38j/XvxGU1ThmLv6bgib9Wuv0/5Y=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=LE/wE7b8ICROQ1Yf/OsPtp/jjNWa/NhsoHHl1AU26AttOZJyp62/e1Ivj2tLmb+unVgwj7Q3k14ShEv63+lwnJYwn7Z+LW70HTRvPe+QLXR1vKlZGZV35IUFtSgtkgKy
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Paul,

I am always glad to share info on the Q and glad to know it is useful to
you and others. I'll try and list the major differences between the 50s/60s
and  70s at Rochelle and on C&I traffic. Hopefully Yahoo wont jumble them
together.

Rochelle- Much smaller. No New City,199,Carnation. Local work handled by
Rockford w/f each night.
Swift was shipping many iced reefers of meat instead of the one or 2
mechanical reefers a week we handled. Rochelle Lumber,Petry Grain and Quest
Redi
mix would have been active customers. Standard Oil was more active with
tank cars going to many small distributors along the Q and elsewhere. I was
told  by the old heads that Standard Oil at Shabbona received tank car loads
from  Rochelle. Talk about a short haul ! A lot of stock would have arrived
for stock  track one and two near the depot. Swift would have received stock
shipments. The  coal chute would still be in place(In the 70s you could
still find the  foundation and locate where the stub track had been.

C& I- Instead of 20 through frt trains a day there would have  been 6-7. Of
course there were all those  passenger trains. More local  grain shipments,
more local coal to the towns. The heavy sand business from  Oregon was just
getting started and the volumes were much lower. A lot of  stock business
to the towns. LCL on the wayfreight. Kable at MT Morris was  shipping
many,mnay cars of printed material. The Carnation Plant at Oregon was  an
active
shipper of reefers. Which brings to mind that Del Monte and  Stokely most
likely loaded reefers instead of RBLs in those days.

Leo Phillipp

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com