Fwd: [CBQ] Rochelle,IL

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Fwd: [CBQ] Rochelle,IL
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 17:44:20 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1315431867; bh=bOZ1wOC02JQSw0UaqPfk5hECUZVsE+9TZBg3sDbndss=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Ln0RfM2qQwRd3vVpq1tNlP3P2dLFICCsE9xiYozAh69C43BqW4bYCJHc6S+rI3QJTV8PA8W2J4Gs4DyOzMVWYNCnEqzlgYEU4cptOKPBBeFPPT+vKMOxWuI7XXp4TSCe
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Randy,

New City replaced old city. OK ........ Rochelle generates its own
electric. The old plant was downtown between the depot and the CNW xing. They
built a new much larger plant on the far east edge of town and called it New
City(?).

When I switched there the plant received N&W battleship coal hoppers  and Q
cars. I assume they blended the two types of coal. We shoved the loads a
long way back to the unloading grates and spotted the first car. If there
were  mtys we'd couple into them and pull them out, set them on the main and
then spot  the first load.

The unloading guys would push individual cars eastward off the unloading
grate so there would be a lot of "joints" to make on the mtys. All this on a
sharp eastward curve with the engine back along the mainline.

So between trying to make all these "joints" on a curve,the 32 seperate
spots for Carnation,mainline traffic of some 20 plus trains a day it was small
 wonder we worked 12 plus hours every night.

By the way the typical p/u for the eastbound guy in the morning was 25-40
cars and one night we lined up 68 cars. It stretched from the clearnace
point on  the main at Carny all the way to the door on track 4 at Carny.
Typical westbound was a good 20-25. These went to Savanna,got switched  out
and then went south to Galesburg.

Many feel model RRs have too many cars on them and are not realistic. I can
 tell you an overhead shot of Rochelle in the 70s would look like most
model RRs  ! Just fill every track with 70 ton capacity RBL box cars !

Ok if you've read all this.... anyone know where Rochelle Rose was ?   No
joke there was such a company and it received rail cars. ????????????????
Anyone want to say where and it was and what type cars it received ? Neat
history lesson here.

Pete you are disqualified from answering.

Leo

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com