Re: [CBQ] Re: burlington bridge

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: burlington bridge
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 05:55:46 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1302612956; bh=5pn8/BYgxAgucTsNhv1CBwjj/+xO6JmLq0ST8HK4t/4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=KXbz/gVS2c6+bfSdQnEgGLsFzy7BPOYSdsPlAzZe9Lz7lUb5u5Nk7vhwrvtwwpckwzi1Y4MeVB4mOix63bPVSeeD5lVqk1vqjbR8erUgQfVXzAlLTdBZmC1m4ZXHdFkB
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bill
Yes that would be nice to see a tow going thru the bridge.  And yes a lot of
the
same old problems still exist mainly the dog leg in the channel to get under
the
now new bridge.  The good part is with the lift span the side clearance is
greatly enlarged.  Course the other problem is there is now way to get the
locks
much larger but when a tow gets to the locks they generally have to be split in
order to get thru.
The bridge at Beardstown on the Illinois River was controlled by the operator
there but in a effort to get rid of that position in the late '90's all the
radar, radio and controls were brought to the Dispatchers Office and placed on
the Main Line Desk.  However with all the work that job had it just did not
work(read too many river delays after all they have priority) and was returned
to the field.
Steve in SC