[CBQ] Re: burlington bridge

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: burlington bridge
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 09:01:42 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1302357722; bh=3n927bC+cptxcxQxfj77tK3tMtjH0BW1vtDmwGWPhyU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=G4ts4ZoiGQm1owThejfYEgyMi0fOzvtBluA1P73XMt8DyKnRvhOHUnifozKJHexTpvfgSaWgq8zjH7YulfsPVysnClIeEp51INZ4mzEYhJh3iwTUORR7+f4qC+XfBggQ
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I appreciate receiving the update photos of the new Burlington
bridge. While it is, I am sure, a very functional bridge, it
certainly won't go down in history as one of the classic looking
bridges. The top mounted sheave covers really give it an ungainly
appearance. As a matter of information, does any one know what the
vertical clearance is when the water is at the normal level? It is
difficult to tell how high it is in the photos without a good nearby
reference.  A photos with a tow boat going underneath would provide a
reference. I assume the the fixed bridge structure east of the lift
span will be replaced with similar structures, possibly of a
different design. That will leave that portion of the bridge still
vulnerable to runaway barges which seems to happen all too often. One
last question. Is the new bridge automated and if so, does anyone
know how it works so that both river and train traffic are safely
accommodated?

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com