[CBQ] Paint Colors - Again

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Paint Colors - Again
From: "Nelson Moyer" <ku0a@mchsi.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 19:23:36 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1302567827; bh=KdbX9Ak5kRYk8eHIOLWJ1TakQ2ffo7diwke95uz/Ir8=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:To:Message-ID:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:Importance:Thread-Index:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=REEpogN29ZfENf10kymH+mwNeTfK9hXLLA/ehePDUQ9GZHhogocHW+TUuBAdo4RKXpkJ0K7o5eL1hHhsw+s3PHZvmnfy56Ti7s64zgywJ3o0RmaFse91uXy8axdCasEo
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
In the 2-93, No 28 issue of The Zyphyr, page 13, Q93-11, someone asked for
the paint mixture for CB&Q Pullman Green. They also wanted to know if the
roof, trucks, and underbody were Pullman Green or black. No answer was given
in that issue, and my Zephyr set is incomplete, so I don't know if the
question was answered or what the answer might have been. If anyone has the
next few issues, I would like to know if the question was ever answered in
The Zephyr, and what that answer was.

In another old Zephyr issue, there was a question about when MOW equipment
was first painted Omaha orange. The answer was 1948, however there was no
mention of exactly what paint or paint mix best approximates Omaha orange.
The color photos of MOW equipment I've seen were taken in the 1960's or
later when the paint was badly faded, appearing almost yellow. Does anyone
know a close match for newly painted cars?

Yet another issue of The Zephyr reported that all structures including
bridge girders were universally painted mineral red through the 1950's. Was
the same mineral red paint used on depots, freight cars, water tanks,
bridges, etc.? What about stand pipes, oil tanks, coal towers, sand towers,
etc.? The last time I asked for paint matches for mineral red, I was told to
match photos. Unfortunately, most color photos are dated after 1955, so
they're not much help for transition modeling.

What paints or paint mixes are you modelers using for these various
applications?

Nelson

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com