RE: [CBQ] Who owned Q stock?

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Who owned Q stock?
From: Gerald Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:41:50 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1302536515; bh=3GXQG76s7bfkfuRFh3N/tQX6XRik4XGtMNy+VBVZ2mU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=JSormgoJwHI93ESb376HGaRpV9hFqfUM0xg7gp5cFPsgKvb7gFnmrKUfJDFXJ5A9SMAPkRWdEt1+zuuF+5mLBp4K/LZPNbMjHvg5yK4TVXYJQVj5NaVC/64fi3Cnz+0J
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I can't speak for Hill's reasoning from 1901-1916 but can for others who
believed the stock would rise further (& it did).  My late Uncle Ed "Smitty"
Smith had several shares he bought thru the Q in the 50's and kept to well
after BN merger - the appreciation was significant.  Per Overton the 3.2% was
held by Q/GN/NP officials and some of the brokers involved.  Remember too,
dividends are also a reason for buying & holding stock.  Q stock is among the
few of any corporations to pass the century mark without missing a dividend
(from 1864 to 1970; the one year they missed was due to Confederate raiders
damaging track & rolling stock in Missouri in 1864 - something even astute mgt
could not avoid!).  CB&Q stock, like AT&T (the so-called "widows & orphans"
stock due its long span of paying dependable dividends), was a good income
stock for investors seeking same.

As for exact # of shares outstanding during Hill's heyday, I can ck my A.R.'s
this w/e if someone else does not respond in the interim.

Gerald