Re: [CBQ] Re: Way car marker lights 60's era

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Way car marker lights 60's era
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 10:12:19 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1302012768; bh=uaeGxDACEJe7QNc5d8xZ71Q6K+UCT7eBRi4Ha8btGq0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:X-AOL-IP:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=sa6rbQu4Zm6s9kZUiRDpVMdUKk5MkrdoWa2ZSnjInwOMy+3punmasxxs3lVtKhlqyWOcU532b4ke+pUtIL6a9jgAiAz/h6hLelAQmrbjwlwAv7SzNkMRZCujVSsiJgm5
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
With all the recent discussion regarding markers and, in my opinion, a lack of
understanding of what constitutes  a marker and why they are used, I think it
it's time for a lesson in basic railroading.

1.  What is a train??  BURLINGTON ROUTE...RULES OF THE OPERATING
DEPARTMENT...Effective December 1, 1929.  TRAIN:  "An engine or motor car or
more than one engine or motorcar coupled, with or without cars  DISPLAYING
MARKERS"  (watch the punctuation...words and commas mean things)

Thus we have these principles to apply....NO MARKERS.....NO TRAIN..........NO
ENGINE or MOTORCAR....NO train

The markers are more than "decoration" on the rear of a train...They designate
that the train is complete....if the markers don't go by...then the train
hasn't gone.  This was extremely important in the days of operation by
timetable and train orders with no automatic block signals or CTC or radios.
If a train holds a meet order with another train and one of the trains is not
displaying its markers then the other train dare not proceed since the train
being met has not yet gone by.

The center red light, a 1960's or later device is not officially a marker,
except under certain conditions as provided by the rules or special
instructions devised in latter days after the advent of ABS and CTC.

The markers in the conventional sense carried 4 lenses...one set displayed red
the other 3 lenses displayed either green or yellow, depending on the railroad.
 IIRC the Q did not use yellow lenses.  The markers were, in effect, a lantern
which in most cases burned oil...in later times markers were equipped with a
conventional light bulb and were wired so that they could be plugged into
outlets provided on the rear of passenger cars and in "electrified" waycars.

A train running on single track, or with the current of traffic on double track
displayed green to the front and side and red to the rear.  \

A train on the siding to be passed by another train displayed green to the
engine side and to the rear.

A train by night running against the current of traffic on two or more tracks
was to show green to front and side and green to the rear on side next to the
main track on which the curreent of traffic is in the direction the train is
moving and red to the rear on the opposite side.  This rule also required the
display of a red light in the caboose cupola of cabooses while on main
track...This part of the rule was eliminated prior to 1950 IIRC.

Another rule provided that when using a lead track in a yard next to the main
track that the markers were to be turned with one showing red to the rear and
one green to the rear.

The importance of markers to train operation was so great that the improper
display of markers necessitated the reporting of said improper display by any
employee noting the same...ie...A common test by operating officials was to
have a traiman take down or extinguish one of the markers on the rear of his
train and then see if passing trains or operators would report the matter...

>From the days of when train operation was dependent upon skill, knowledge and
>obedience to the rules....above and beyond...Red means stop and green means
>go...That's about all it takes today.

Pete