[CBQ] Re: CB&Q No. 483 "Minneapolis Club"

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q No. 483 "Minneapolis Club"
From: "dafoster99" <dafoster@vt.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 02:06:36 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1299982643; bh=Zr6J2yk/aYzi/K7JgnuhcpUJwd6/weHY8kbgF4jmw8M=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:Received:Received:Received:DKIM-Signature:Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:X-eGroups-Approved-By:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=t7h2nhHUV2HBpUuoV8hcgLDDfIrkFerZllZZPSwDTeL0YPKh0vGCZ6rCUGrAQmwKcFxgoBBccZXBACktqp6zPIRHYF04F0ZNUEcWhwqqGK6EP+OhJi9DZ+Z1akjR/pvQ
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1299982641; bh=cFUSCOuRHbxxR1ewjfTDLIGj/WN2h9DpHpICiFBYY+c=; h=Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Date:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Mailer:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:Subject:X-Yahoo-Group-Post:X-Yahoo-Profile:X-YGroups-SubInfo:Sender:X-eGroups-Approved-By:X-eGroups-Auth; b=eqc//S/0s5xzONdqnYkzL4YeKTIEmsRRVdKgDuF7/UltDfoheWc4CVN6anshDmFldVIqdtAlmcNMLv3bfCIJFrpfkX1gIsepvN67aCofUiCMB8Xm+9bQIPjfgQUYxixZ
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Dave,
     The Minneapolis Club restoration is a project that my father and I are
working on.  We are going to bring it up to current Amtrak standards for
personal use and probably limited charter / lease service.  The frame and truck
work is already complete and we're moving on to electric / mechanical / HVAC /
plumbing work now.  There are only a few interior changes that are planned,
like creating a second hall bathroom and a shower in the space by the vestibule
that was occupied by the porter's seat and a bedding locker.

     From what I've been able to track down on the history of the car, after it
became surplus from CB&Q / BN it went to Solano Railcar.  There may have been
an intermediate owner, but I haven't found any details on that.  From there it
went to the Seattle & North Coast where it was used until they shut down in
1984.  It was sold into private ownership and ran in excursion service behind
the 4449, including in the movie Tough Guys.  At some point it was also given
an Amtrak private car number (800483).  It never ran in general Amtrak service
(thankfully no carpet on the walls).

     I loose track of it again after that until it was purchased by Royal Rails
(though I know it was still in the Pacific Northwest at that time).  It was
moved to Florida and there was a significant amount of work done on it,
including putting it into their rather gaudy paint scheme.  Royal Rails then
folded and the car (along with several others) were sold to Railroad Power
Leasing and the Morristown & Erie.

     The owner of Railroad Power Leasing was restoring both this car and an
ex-Southern Crescent round end lounge for use on Maine Eastern tourist train
that the M&E runs, but decided that he didn't need both.  From what I've heard,
all 6 of the ex-North Coast Limited Sleeper / Buffet / Obs cars survive, though
I only know locations for 4 of them.

     I've created a web page to document the progress on the car, if you're
interested.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Minneapolis-Club-Rail-Car/187225801312714?ref=ts

Lewis Foster

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com