[CBQ] Re:Minot, ND Hump Yard - was Fourth Main

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Minot, ND Hump Yard - was Fourth Main
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 09:49:43 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1299512989; bh=SUk6yg5TlyMSdw5Z+onBg87A5iLH9YC7cPq3P1nVlU0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=k4TxT+avXrCefKjMnsOmTmcyNMeIcgPKcusekLc8FZAd/SVNL7y9MWMmYwrZYQ5hveRJtSA/CHZIJOJbZoZKY+z396jmj9JlXj33pGETYQ1i3Hr0JyquGYGp68fa1A0M
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Steve,

I am going to reply to your original post even though I know that
there have been several subsequent posts. First, let me preface my
comments by saying that I do not follow the GN nor to I know a lot
about their activities except as they may have influenced the Q. I
certainly do not know the history of Gavin Yard and it wasn't my
intent to upset GN fans as I thought my comment was true and benign.

Like Cy, my comment was based on post BN information. In the mid
1980's, Electro-Motive conducted a locomotive demonstration on the BN
using some new Alaska Railroad GP49s. The locomotives two westbound
and one eastbound trip between Chicago and Seattle. After that they
were shipped to Alaska. During a portion of the trips, I was the EMD
rep on board. Going through North Dakota, we stopped and were held at
Minot for the better part of an hour. The locomotives were adjacent
to the hump with a good view of it. Stored on top of the hump were a
number of maintenance of way cars which seemed curious so I asked my
RR companions. I was traveling with the System Superintendent of Air
Brakes whose name escapes me (his first name was Art and he was an
older gentleman at the time). Also traveling with me was Carl
Stendahl Jr. from the Mechanical Dept. Art's response was that the
hump was out of service and was one of the mistakes that the railroad
had made. I thought he meant BN because I didn't know when the hump
and yard were built. I also don't know which RR he came from.
Basically, he said it never should have been built there. I do know
that Carl and his dad, Carl Stendahl Sr. were both from the GN and he
certainly did not take exception to the comment or elaborate.

In retrospect, Northtown Yard had been upgraded by that time and his
comment may have suggested that GN should have built the hump yard in
the Twin Cities instead of Minot. That may have saved the BN the
expense to build Northtown later on. (As I recall, Northtown before
merger was a smaller NP facility. I don't know what facilities GN had
in the Twin Cities pre merger.) In any case, my comment was based on
those brief comments by BN personnel during that trip. I took it for
face value. I agree that a company's needs change over time.
Certainly, as you stated, when GN made the decision to build Gavin,
it probably was a good idea under the circumstances at the time.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com