RE: [CBQ] Fourth Main

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Fourth Main
From: GLEN HAUG <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 00:14:44 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1299399292; bh=I43D+JZbAtFADZKmDgvMBL+t7njCi/l21v8iVDz+Q1E=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=NlRofyVzk5N8L3jbUikljPJ6RZgwsnxfbyDoybW+oszOp0ARHe3UI3alCyClEgvuenQc9c9x13bWTwnmDC7hU5QtaVDLlAGHBjCGG3izDb+93+uIbiALZ8rsUPZjA1fZ
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert:

There have been several messages about the 4th main, and the reply from Leo
Phillipp is correct.  The 4th main is actually fairly well documented in
Chicago and Aurora Division timetables and signal drawings and photographs.
Construction was completed in 1930 with the 4th track constructed on the north
side from MP 21.31 (just west of the signal bridge at Forest Avenue, Downers
Grove) to Curve 22 at Belmont.  Curve 22 was shifted and the new track was
constructed on the south side thru Lisle to a point of change in curvature in
the west end of Curve 27.  The west end of this curve was also shifted and the
new track was constructed on the north side thru Naperville to MP 33.44 within
the plant at Eola.  The signal bridges between Downers Grove and Eola (with a
couple of exceptions) were 3 track bridges, and they had a 14' extension added
to them (again with a couple of exceptions) on the side that the new track was
added.  Some were relocated, so signal drawings were prepared for the new
footing locations.  The older footings were solid footings but the ones added
in 1930 were pre-cast 2 stem footings.  If you look carefully at the signal
bridges that have not been replaced (or Q photographs), you can easily spot
these details.

When the 4th track was completed, the 4 mains were signaled as follows: Main 1
Westward, Main 2 Eastward and Westward, Main 3 Eastward and Westward, and Main
4 Eastward.  In 1934 the 4th track was removed except portions left for sidings
(i.e., Naperville), and the entire removal was on the north side.  This created
what essentially became a maintenance road under the north side of the signal
bridges.  Photographs of the signal bridges after 1934 show Eastward and
Westward targets for new Mains 1 and 2, and Eastward targets only for new Main
3.  Main 3 remained an Eastward track until CTC.

Glen Haug