[CBQ] Fourth Main

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Fourth Main
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 09:02:43 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1299333776; bh=fpCrxB1wrS5yIhbiKL/wtWT7Tt55Nx8NrZ70KEgUABU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-AOL-IP:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=cTDtHeCztsowjRhiXDUhTMqlhnpW3J3cd9q7kMUQEmhL/6dTbAbaL51exA9hSviptGj0TtCJX6uqR1qBILJKGgJzFbUjGW/B0sKJCcPofReHW4SACZ6xmQMwEEkQZYk1
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert,

There have been a couple prior discussions on the fourth main but here is
what I have found over the years.

In Overtons Burlington Route,Chapter 18 page 338 is a short
discussion..."as an indication of the density of traffic on the main stem east
of Aurora,
a fourth track was laid down over the twelve miles between Downers  Grove
and Eola in 1929-30".

I seem to recall that prior posts reported this 4th main to have lasted
only about 4 years due to removal as cost reduction move in the great
depression.

Now from personal observations the track was on the North side as  evidence
by the stubs that were in place at Naperville up until the 70's  and the
bridge footings at the Du Page river west of Naperville,Salt Creek just  west
of Lisle and the wide opening under the EJ&E at Eola. Also the company
service road that runs along the North side for much of this distance was where

the tracks were located.
Also check out Simpkins map of Downers Grove yard in the article in Zephyr
59 showing the remnant there being used in 1947.

Just as an aside when I went to work on the RR in the early 70s  noone
recalled  the 4th main and when I would bring it up; it was  hotly disputed
until I would bring up the above points. Of course most of even  the oldest
guys
at that time had late 30s or early 40s seniority dates. That's  why it's so
important to record history as it is otherwise lost as us  mortals pass on.

Leo Phillipp

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com