[CBQ] Re: Q E5 Units

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Q E5 Units
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 19:57:55 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1299376689; bh=k8UdYjkFQzRuu+C7MsFeycOC2J/uHB0YJsiRSjj+W8U=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=TBgRdHakuvHK+Y65QA7yEz11XKX/8fsBGALfMaEbUP39i5sDm/GtXLw/7AujGPQl3rFwUON4gT7nTPCNRI7x8PIulxe3HoxQQDRz7QUBi6mK3PcSFt7Eg9Wtf1NywQ2q
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John,

The red nose stripes were adopted on the E units at the same time
that the Chinese red paint scheme was introduced on road freight hood
unit locomotives in 1959. In both red and black, the E-5s only had
three stripes around the nose. The faux grills were red after 1959
and black before. Originally, on the E-5s, the faux grills were
painted on separate plates that were screwed onto the nose structure.
When front MU receptacles were added, the the plate had to be removed
on one side to make the MU connection. The plates were then discarded
and the grills were the grills were painted directly on the nose.

Only the first group of E-7s ending with 9925A&B had three nose
stripes. Subsequent units had the fourth stripe added above the lower
headlight. The E-7s were the first units with a red stripe along the
batten strip at the bottom of the side panels and the thin red arrow
stripe along the side under the air intakes.

The stripes were intended to represent the front window area on the
shovel nose Zephyrs and the faux grills represented the shovel nose
grills on either side of the headlight. In very late years, the
grills were eliminated on some later E's. Whether any E-5s had them
eliminated, I don't know. Some E-5s did operate for a while without
the grill plates and did not have the grills painted on.

BRHS Bulletin #10 is an excellent source for information on Q E units.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com