[CBQ] Re: Fourth Track

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Fourth Track
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 20:16:19 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1299377790; bh=HDUbA7WJ6ooBNn4SVuJes8ASmY2imGxFg/7YclW3VlU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=eH5sk0sN/4gKaiv/zOUxObiMEcPSf9pcE2MPmWTPFAcnP9w7a7TByVF1BxXSaGh9/7d4GRnEm2VKUDogjjhzuraSKMwnzAw5Epyb6Dz20Rr7iw+k8lxQkJEOe90ywpFg
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert,

The fourth main track between Downers Grove and Aurora was added
after the turn of the 20th century around 1910, I believe. My dad was
born in DG in 1912 and it was there from his earliest recollections
around 1919. It was removed during the Depression. Remnants are still
evident. The west lead of the DG yard during the '50s and '60s was
part of the fourth main and extended almost all the way to Belmont
Avenue. Later, it was cut back further and a little still remains.

As to why the track was added , I have never heard a good
explanation. Since most suburban trains terminated at DG until 1952,
it would have seemed more appropriate to have a fourth main east of
DG. Like you, I would like to know why the RR decided to add the
fourth main, how it was used while it existed and why it was removed
30 some odd years later.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com