[CBQ] Q VO-1000

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Q VO-1000
From: John Manion <railbass@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 21:29:47 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1295670596; bh=1Ad2A3kV7jVuaiPd30Qv/EN+EAAs45EGFWzzOEZWroM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Google-Sender-Auth:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=TJf0M7EBkJI7yc44/7qJHNO1/1kj7sAqmzw+WL7qgSBeItpbXd+grSvxqqFQh6ALCXJI3zzdMk2XtZfzAwDE6zsIIbknGkp65nyJJD951/h6bjqNi+plKtIhSMjq2A/t
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I am modeling D&RGW VO-660s with Stewart HO models, but I also have some
VO-1000 models.   I have one painted as Q #9365 and an undecorated model.
I happened to be looking through the BRHS web site tonight and noticed
several B&W photos of #9352 apparently as delivered in Dec 1943.   It
appears to be black with white lettering.   Burlington Route herald on the
cab sides does appear to be a white and red box.   "Everywhere West"
and "Way of the Zephyrs" are on both sides of the hood with CB&Q and the
number above the rear cab windows.   There was no striping on this simple
scheme.   Was the unit painted black and was the lettering white?   Was the
herald white striping outlined in red with white lettering inside?   How
long did this paint scheme last on the Q?   I model the late 1940s.   Also,
it appears that many, if not all, of the VO-1000s received the four exhaust
stacks on the hood.   When did the four stacks begin to appear and did they
last to the end of VO-1000 service?   As I model D&RGW diesels, I am also
interested in CB&Q and C&S diesels and model them.   This paint scheme seems
unusual and very striking.
- John Manion

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com