[CBQ] hog drenchers

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] hog drenchers
From: "Douglas Harding" <doug.harding@iowacentralrr.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 16:18:26 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1295129922; bh=gvYlQzQ6bb1cgU0Itbh2Xl+HBIEJwBKu20fzHwUMQCA=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=owtYOAeYGFEN5Sa6dY3SER7b91QEHpCMvPaQrvuv6V3Vtz1KujSv3Clg/vn8kbx+GFJZQIPaRvitiZ3yPIN2SJd6gsUJ+wS7ov9WgaLYFZuI6IOKrt3RdsEEmIYDEJSV
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I have been doing some research on railroad hog drenchers. These were large
trackside pipes with nozzles used to spray water through stockcar sides to
wet hogs down to keep them cool.

I am looking for more information. I have a few photos and some standard
drawings, but none from the CB&Q. As the CB&Q had one of the largest fleets
of stockcars and served many areas that raised hogs, I can only assume the
CB&Q used hog drenchers. I would appreciate any photos, pamphlets or
information that can be shared.

Did the CB&Q use hog drenchers? If so where were hog drenchers located? On
the mainline or a siding? Near the depot or water tank? Was a drencher
located on just one side of the track? Or both sides? Was there instructions
on how to use hog drenchers? And when to use them? Who did the work?

What were the train orders when hog drenchers were to be used?

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com