[CBQ] Mt. Morris Track Plan - Piggyback Operations

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Mt. Morris Track Plan - Piggyback Operations
From: "thommack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 13:49:22 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1292852972; bh=ane8BsuZhDi46oB/A4f3BDAujaJt/G+lb0CAa7Vys7M=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=eweK3g+pZA9j5AfLyGbr6b2kSWxDTgRb6BvB9gT6YAH0mIxo5xWi9KHpBj8+ZkJ56CQRJKP/9hsTsGjaAtA2C4owRJ3gLG/5yQ/V9zIouTu/I9n8Ar0aGW3wh6FJbs3S
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Jerry,

Thanks for the great answers. One point of clarification:

In an earlier post you said that Tracks 3 and 4 were inside tracks but were
also the tracks used for the piggybacks. In your last e-mail you said there
were ramps for unloading the piggybacks. Am I to understand the trailers were
unloaded inside the building at Kable or was there are ramp outside?

BTW, does anyone on the group have any pictures or able to point us to pictures
of piggy's sitting at Oregon for delivery to Kable?

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Stauffer <milw265@...> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> As for the piggy back operation goes, I just talked with a friend a few
> minutes ago that did some of the loading of pigs there. He said all trailers
> cane in empty on rail, pulled off, placed at a loading dock and then reloaded
> on the trailers. There were 2 ramps. No one seems to remember when the ramps
> were installed but they are guessing the real early 60's. Stan says he
> remembers still loading trailers up to around 1976 and the ramps were gone in
> the early 80's. He doesn't recall anyone else using the ramps other than
> Kable Printing.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Jerry
>
> --- On Fri, 11/26/10, thommack <thommack@...> wrote:
>
> Jerry,
>
> 4. Piggyback operation at Kable is what probably interests me most. Could you
> explain more about the piggyback loading at Kable? Am I to understand that
> empty 86' piggyback cars came into Kable and were loaded with trailers? Or
> did they come in with empty trailers already on the piggyback cars and the
> trailers were then loaded at Kable? This is very interesting operation since
> I did not know private industries loaded piggyback cars.
>
> Tom Mack
> Cincinnati, OH
>
> --- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Stauffer <milw265@> wrote:
> >
> > OK..getting back on track here..sorry...during the 50's period you were
> > asking about Roger, the following businesses and industry were serviced
> > here in Mt. Morris.

The bulk of the traffic was the Kable Printing Plant at the NW end of the
line... The plant had four other sidings.. Tracks 3 and 4 were also inside
tracks with a wide inside dock between them and were shared between receiving
paper rolls for both Roto and the Offset pressrooms. These tracks were not
there in 1950, probably were added during expansion of the plant in the early
60's. Both tracks were also used to load mail from the bindery directly into
boxcars..  Track 3 and 4 shared piggy back loading of trailers which contained
mail sacks so yes..product was shipped out on piggys. That lasted into the mid
to lat 70's but was gone when I went to work at the plant in 1979.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com