[CBQ] Pepperridge Farm at Downers Grove

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Pepperridge Farm at Downers Grove
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 20:41:36 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1291426903; bh=tMtr7J2KFyW1jmRzxNQ6Gg3D7IZcDnbZ3ExpZJUhA+0=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-AOL-IP:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=MBuOPY2tZLwdLGErGbZSuwkkLC8KLAuV8D3S+Dc66Yda/UC6IYzCVOoFoTApciQlJRfoI0uRATZt/BdtHaiSvzZkoWDtYLDbTYn6MgsrOEoHkSJM4U17w5bPCKppv35E
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bill,

I don't know. During my BN days and then after I would  interview the "old
heads" sometimes it would be as we travelled over the road,  sometimes at
somebodys operating session of a layout,sometimes in my  family
room,etc,etc,etc, I would come home and make notes(if I didn't do it  during
the
interview). Somewhere I have the notes for this Rip interview(there  were many)
and
it struck me on a couple points and I have never forgotten  it. He was very
animated(as Rip could be) about throwing loaves of bread around  trying to
get to the tail house backing out of CUS. If anyone on the list has  listened
to Rips tales you don't forget them !  I didn't ask for specific  years.

Rip worked everything and his memory was iron clad. His  seniority date was
in the 40s and he retired in the 80s. He was the 85/86 and  day mail
conductor for many years. He also worked every last job on the  division.

W.J Burnell told me the same story as we went down the Aurora  Lead on a
dinky one night. Bill worked the night dinkies for many years and was  famous
for his antics on them. He liked the night dinkies because back in that  day
the job received a higher rate of pay  for handling the pepperidge
car,wheel car ,etc. I try very hard to have had at least 2 people tell me  the
same
fact before I put it in an article or on this list .

Also another one of Rips many famous tales was the bananna car  one. But
thats for another day.

The mechanical reefers were loaded at Pepperridge on the stub  just west of
the current one. It dropped off considerably from the main to get  along
side the building. It was removed sometime in the late 70s or early 80s We
used to pull the car on the Congo as I recall. I think the east end spotted
it.

Leo

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com