[CBQ] car 57 roof work completed for this year

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com, colorado-railfan@yahoogroups.com, union_pacific@yahoogroups.com, dsp-p@yahoogroups.com, thedenverroad@yahoogroups.com, bnsf@yahoogroups.com, pullmancompanyresearchers@yahoogroups.com, earlyrail@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] car 57 roof work completed for this year
From: MICHAEL PANNELL <michael.pannell@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 02:01:30 +0000 (GMT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1288922492; bh=TC7zNMmLkVJCBwv9YCrjQDjt14/4IDGc7Y1Dm++Hzlo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=S9ejwELwC/8vZOrVNbzBOfcEJwKAmkBoyJPBg4t37Tx15FH2uupRkprnsm8kyiVwKTJPwDa9WRWZY/BUXZAfOEcE2k7FYSn9znroZ3tWdX45rNTpOHuIarDJ7dYbWhmL
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi to all
     Well after 10 weeks on the bloomin roof its pretty well sealed up 10
gallons of brushable silicone, 12 tubes of silicone and a gallon of rust
inhibitor, we made new drip rails for the sides of the clerestory roof exactly
as per the originals, the curved end pieces will be produced over the winter.
Our biggest worry was the fact you could move the main roof up and down which
although it sounds alarming and kept me awake many nights, wasnt as bad as we
thought, now it doesnt move at all. Its screwed through the galvanised sheets
every inch into the new drip rails which themselves are screwed deep into the
roof structure.
    The top screen frames sadly are beyond saving, sad because they have
original Pullman green inside and all the order and overhaul marks stamped in
them. We will save all these pieces and try to re-use them in the new screens,
but after 123 years the originals are passed saving, not bad for exterior
facing
Poplar ! We will refit new screens with glass in them instead of brass screen,
we have to weatherproof the car at the cost of originality at this point.
    This winter our priority is no1.... to make great breakfasts on our stove,
 no2.... To pull up the 1952 installed floor and see what the condition of the
1887 floor is like, it looks pretty good except in the area of the.....

Gents bathroom !!  (no comments required) we will have to pull the original
floor up here and deal with the frame rot caused by fire damage and contact
with
the ground.
    We will continue stripping ceilings (at home) and chipping paint so if
anyone wants to come up and spend some time train watching and chipping paint
then please contact me at 307-221-2371.
    We also appreciate your continued financial support of this project, the
roof swallowed up at least $1700 dollars in materials so our funds are at rock
bottom once again.

Pictures at http://mikepannell254.fotopic.net/p67984187.html

All the best to everyone
Mike Pannell