Re: [CBQ] First motor car

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] First motor car
From: "cvlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 12:23:33 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1288113825; bh=gEDYmNwISDlzCC0mMXqijoug5mamtfgz2I7c2J31pOw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:x-mimeole:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Xjyfibv4+MZpglmIUvQ+yKtrS/lUMaAsGcy+AYi9qXN2ydxXJnWUYkbv+ST+neWOxYaQkxwA5dnWm0/0lMuc7v00eHxgvtTHgljN164FjZ8q+okMPDzEg/ATwHlRGLrt
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The CB&Q was interested in self-propelled units from early times.   I ran
across a letter in the Newberry Burlington Archives that concerned a Baldwin
steam dummy unit that the CB&Q inspected and evaluated for possible branchline
use..... in 1878 !!!!

While I did not come across any documentation that the CB&Q evaluated it, in
1897 there was a Chicago Tribune article about the Patton motor, that had a
gasoline motor powering a generator and traction motors through a bank of
storage batteries which could be used to provide additional power or without
the motor as desired.    Basically, a Genset more than a century before its
time!   There are records of the unit being tested on the CGW and a trolley
line out east using two of the cars instead of overhead powered units.

Charlie Vlk

We had a brief discussion back in August about the first (possibly first)
gasoline motor car. I've now found the following piece in an article (American
Engineer & Railroad Journal Sept. 1905 page 335) about motor cars, discussing
the different motive power options and costings of motor car operation.

"The Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railway has recently built a 225-h.p.
gasoline electric motor car designed to haul a trailer for carrying passengers,
the motor car itself being used for the power equipment, mail and baggage. A
test of this car was made recently, but as yet we have no figures on the actual
cost of operation."

Presuming this to be a reference to the same piece of equipment, it confirms
that this was railway equipment as opposed to a converted road vehicle.
Needless to say, if I find any published reports on the test, I'll let you know.

Rupert Gamlen

Auckland NZ

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com