Re: [CBQ] Re: Lumber District / question-Aurora Div locals

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Lumber District / question-Aurora Div locals
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:55:10 EDT
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1283201734; bh=ojpxdQ5QTjzRB5SGcpnwybAR+JfNaN/jBp7tUsAvUhE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-AOL-IP:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-SENDER:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=EgfDGiK6N66xk8vBG0+kGg5U5PpzjtX0q6XOKnX6U5Q1B6Unoquig7qm0yGoOJCUujbpJ3gczQqxSwaj3Sit8ryIa2h+EZsbB28Ck3FVPF6jCqxjqVfcOeVemRB5nzfM
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Jeff,

Let it suffice to say that as a young brakemen,conductor or  engineer on
the Aurora extra list you rarely lacked for work. If anything  you begged for
a day off. Have you ever doubled or tripled out in a single day  ?  Except
in January when you  starved.  No guarantees back in the day.

It's hard to imagine the amount of work that once existed  in Aurora/Eola
and the wayfreights operating from there or on the Aurora Div..  We've just
scratched the surface in our previous discussions.
 If you ever bump into Roger Field ,I believe his  hire date is 1965. He
started at Eola. Or Izzy Jr at Rochelle who is like a  early 1960s something
hire date.
Oh and if you work the dinlkies find Dick Temple before he  finally
retires. His BN hire date is around 1971 or so but before that he worked  the
CNW
mainline passenger trains in the 60s.
Darro Reppy can tell you about his first couple summers on the  passenger
extra list at Aurora. His wife would hand up clean clothes as they  unloaded
passengers at Aurora. He wouldn't be home for days as he got his rest  at
the away terminal of Savanna,GT or Burlington. He would get a message while
in route to protect such and such upon arrival at CUS.

By the way both Cat and Lyon  received coal for the power  plants,inbound
plate and shipped scrap out back in the day. On the Earville turn  in 1974/75
we pulled no less than 3 and up to 6  loads of scrap per day  from Cat. Old
"frenchy" was the crane operator on the Cat scrap dock and had  been doing
it for like 30 plus years there and at Peoria. He could look at a  load and
tell you w/in about a ton how much was in it !

The Armour Job,Nabisco PM,Earville Turn,Fox River were almost  a daily race
to get in before going dead on the law. Imagine riding hand brakes  at
Sheridan for hours while weighing loads of gravel ?! Then going to Wedron to
switch it out.
The Irish Mail for decades was a 15-16 hour ringer 6 days a  week. When the
"mails" came on w/General Mills in West Chicago there were 3 jobs  a day
and all were on OT everday.
Then we ran extras on Sundays to clean things up  !

I was called more than once to work a yard extra at Eola just  to help the
2-3 assigned jobs/shift keep things fluid. Yes there was an  East,West, and
often  a Roustabout engine. Not every shift but fairly  steady. And add an
extra just to keep things really crowded.

In the past there was a frt house job at Aurora that was a 16  hour
ringer,besides the Aurora engine. The Alley job was the highest seniority  job
in
the Eola/Aurora terminal. Stay tuned as I keep making progress on that
research that has been 30 plus years in the works.  I have an orginal  drawing
of
the Alley crew going to work done by fireman  Mike Meketti in  1948. It
once hung in the "old" Eola yard office. One look at it says everything  as the
burro looks exhausted.

Speaking of roustabout that was also the name of the afternoon  Fox River
for years. They would use the same power that came off the morning Fox
River. But they went over to Earville via Baker/Catherine until the kids burnt
the bridge down. When it came off it was replaced by the Ottawa-Catherine
Turn.  85/86 ran everday from Cicero to Streator.Then became 11811-812 under BN
and  made the round trip each night.That was one interesting job.

Then there was the IV&N W/F from La Salle to Zearing which  I was told more
than once by Red Lynch worked 16 hours/day,even on the day it  came off.
Cement  and perishable connections were the  reasons.

The Rockfalls w/f worked out of Eola to Rockfalls/Sterling 2  round trips a
week and made an Earville turn on Weds. Then it shifted to a  Mendota base
and the Eola-Earville turn came on.
Check out some of the older Q photo books for shots of both  jobs at
Earlville together.
The moonlight job ran Cicero to Barstow via Mendota and  Denrock. 2 turns.
Then kept getting shortened up.

There were yard engines at
Ottawa,Streator,LaSalle,Mendota,Rockfalls/Sterling,Rockford. There were even
extra lists at these points to protect
vacancies. Most were multiple shift  locations..

There were way freights on the C&I,around the horn,to  Rockford. Road
switchers at Rochelle(up to 3 depending on the year or time of  year), and
Oregon.

C&I and mainline frt pools.

And this was in the 50-70s. Going farther back you add in all  the
C&I,Mainline and branch passenger jobs. I even have info on the motor  cars and
milk
trains,baggage jobs and mail trains.

"Nothing is so constant as change"

Leo Phillipp