[CBQ] Re: Mystery Box on Q GP9 #274

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Mystery Box on Q GP9 #274
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:25:14 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1281450372; bh=5o0titHED66CbL9R2Ze/N1snpE7EEUTuFmS5ijY3fsY=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=CZQVsRr/uvmFqjjXxNf+96EcbvZt45jTeSWxRPz/0C/h65plWjAeMoomcxxE71K4+feieBNLHelfbQxQTU1vuYLUeN4UYiE7TRxk4ocjQHDCDUXceMfCjvf9a+/hPtVW
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Steve,

While the GP-9s were generally assigned to Lines West, they did
operated east to Chicago and probably other terminals. They only had
to be "home" for major inspections. The 30 day inspection could be
done anywhere and even some of the higher inspections could also be
done at other shops. In Al Holck's "Burlington Route Color Pictorial
Vol. 2" there is aMax Zimmerlein  photo at the top of page 106 of
GP-9s nos. 278 and 273 along with two U.P. GP-9s and another
blackbird westbound at Sandwich, IL. The date is January, 1960 when
the units were 6 years old.

At that time, the Q adhered to cab signal use. Both 4960 and 5632 had
just been equipped with cab signals. Equipping the GP-9s and other
diesels in regular use in the Chicago cab signal territory would make
sense. It was my impression that the Q tried not to operate non cab
signal equipped locomotives in the cab signal territory. That was the
reason that all run through consists always had a Q unit in the lead.
In my experience as an observer at the time, one never saw a mixed RR
consist with anything but a Q unit in the lead. I assumed that the Q
unit was cab signal equipped. While the box on the GP-9 in the photo
is different than that used on steam locomotives and some GP-7s
(possibly removed from steam locomotives), I think it is a later
version of the cab signal application.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com