Re: [CBQ] Photos, paint schemes

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Photos, paint schemes
From: "Rupert & Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 17:57:30 +1200
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1274075859; bh=1quiZc0ee2R2DhRHeph0vTjQ240VQGVSP8BiiZ8UphM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered:X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result:X-IronPort-AV:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=K43nVfAT7EwbqqMb/8e1DIbSdWKlrWMBZp5x6sHglIG3bLrc3EQVjtuWN0GGQIvrstDeL7ozZx21PPCE/6GGhmFcu2/e2ytO2idQZyK+AJBbb6XtL9d0xnECWgTu/Kws
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bill

The following is an explanation by Hol Wagner in answer to a similar question

"The story comes directly from the person who had the 605 painted Chinese red:
Neil Richey, the roundhouse foreman at Childress in
November 1967 (and roundhouse foreman in Denver when he told me the story), had
the unit painted that way when it was overhauled
because FW&D switchers had been equipped with MU for use in pairs on
branchlines, especially out of Wichita Falls. As such, the FW&D
considered them to be road units, and road units were painted Chinese red. When
the powers that be in Lincoln and Chicago discovered
the unit was red, a directive was issued that no more switchers were to be
painted red, but the frugal Burlington didn't spend the
money to repaint a newly painted unit, and 605 wore its Chinese red until it
was repainted Cascade green."

Rupert