Re: Commuter coaches on the Ak Sar Ben Zephyr in 1965 (was Re: [CBQ] Re:

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Commuter coaches on the Ak Sar Ben Zephyr in 1965 (was Re: [CBQ] Re:
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 09:33:52 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1272983642; bh=gg6zSOE9At1LWI9yEimRwJyfvJqu3IcykE3BP1TWieM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=la71QgruI00T2+86tImjjWIIQWEYpdh27WyCLuX8FH7LY8OZleKrK9/Hfl5ri/9EkfQF/m2Q1oerjoJEbMo+FUwRVgYea+9CgTpzdRN517zcgCwKgMwRtJ3rTC/NFlQ0
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Stephen,

There is a link with the photo that provides the complete caption. It
indicates that the Q was receiving a new order of gallery cars
including the cab cars when this photo was taken. At that time,
Illinois tax law imposed sales tax on all new locomotives (and
cars?)  that were accepted for delivery within the state. To avoid
the tax, RRs that could, would take delivery outside the state,
sometimes even hauling them through the state for delivery in another
state. It was Q practice to accept delivery in Lincoln, NE where the
new equipment was also weighed to accommodate union pay agreements.
The photo caption indicates the the gallery car is enroute to Chicago
after acceptance at Lincoln. If you enlarge the photo, you can see
that it is operating as part of the head end consist. You can see
that there are baggage cars both in front of and behind the gallery
car.  (There appears to be a Havelock baggage car immediately behind
it and possibly two more head end cars.) I am sure it is operating as
a non revenue car on this trip.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com