[CBQ] Re: GP (and SD) Headlight Operation Question

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: GP (and SD) Headlight Operation Question
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 08:45:32 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1272894353; bh=iqftAmVRX09yuTItzA35TC6FYY0W+ui0/UrVaI6k/Js=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=j112LMPNkIyxjsUfEO6irH5NRfg80Q+dyv+3lUq9zUM4xNT4SNz/RNBJ0qgMpBTnPG8+Uq5dv2c2oIA1tY8IVWlyLC22KjTC1iDfpnTZCLHp51KnYsq+komjqB1BQGSl
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rick,

There was a previous thread on this topic several months ago. You may
want to reference that. The lower two lights, which were in the
standard EMD housing, were the normal headlight that were
repositioned to make room for the higher mounted Mars. The Mars
lights on the GP units were similar if not identical to those used on
Q steam locomotives. The white light in the Mars housing usually
gyrated, (in a figure 8 pattern IIRC) but could be placed in a fixed
position anywhere in it's rotating cycle. Neither light was designed
to flash. The red light was wired so that it only came on  in an
emergency brake application. It was not a running light. If a GP unit
was making a reverse movement, there were red lenses in the class
light assemblies to provide rear marker lamps. Generally, at night,
both the fixed road headlight and the white Mars light were on. In
the daytime, depending on the time period, there was no light or just
the fixed headlight.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com