Re: [CBQ] spring meet at Streator,

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] spring meet at Streator,
From: "Rob & Bev Manley" <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 01:30:45 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1270362663; bh=iHkvazDIH18BiFCXz5vkJacK62X1Mm6MK3YZbjnqgLk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=lj3wwJseqdxdCwFFLKHI15IlUnAfs5+JO9+VYhxIaXV+ZZwuMKVHwrUM4UhIvrPyK0geyQYueQE2OLZH2EJR5NMwC4ueQMaEMWIAOObXGuwkMUcadk5mwIedmlg7qM8d
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo,
Just to go to the swap and miss my clinic on "Weathering Steam Era freight
Cars" would be a true dissappointment. Ok, Jim Miller's presentation and all
the other events we have carefully coordinated and scheduled would also be
highly worthwhile too. If you or any other BRHS members haven't attended one of
the Streator Connection Mini-meets then you are missing a truely quality
presentation. It is like a smaller more focused Naperville Railroad Prototype
Modelers convention without the resin kit Tupperware party. No Western Pacific
or UP riff-raffjust the roads that ruled Streator. The City of Streator is most
accomodating and the food at the dinner is about the best I have had at any of
the meets.
We have more members from the Santa Fe Modelers and Historical Society
registerred than Burlington guys. So I think we need to show them who the
bigger part of BNSF really is ! We could also use some more of our BRHS
membership to help with the less than glorius aspects of hosting a show like
this.
You may contact me before the show or talk to anybody at the door about
volunteering.

Oh here is a reposting of the events planned:

Jim Brown from the Santa Fe side will present a clinic on the Streator
Connection, taking us on an in-depth look at the history of the Santa Fe / New
York Central connection with an emphasis on the NYC / PC period before the
connecting track was built at the south end of town.

Industries of Streator

Eric Mumper will cover the industries of Streator focusing specifically on
those located along the CB&Q's Montgomery - Streator branch.  Eric, a native of
Ottawa, IL, models the line, better known as the Fox River Branch in HO scale.

Weathering Freight Cars

Rob Manley prolific CB&Q freight car builder will cover new techniques in
weathering freight cars using artist quality, low dust, Pan Pastels.

Modern Power along the Lines West and Santa Fe Trail in Illinois

Matt Kosic's slide program will feature a bit more modern look at the railroads
in the 1980's and 1990's.  Matt will focus on the area between Galesburg and
Chicago.

After Dinner Program - Jim Miller

Jim Miller will be doing the after dinner slide presentation.  Jim photographed
the Q in Illinois the 1960's and promises to deliver a show featuring the ever
popular dome laden Zephyrs, Steam fan trips, freight motor red birds and gray
backs.  Jim will also touch upon the more obscure as well as other interesting
rail subjects.

The Santa Fe in 1938 from a conductor's viewpoint

A s series of movies made by a Chillicothe based Santa Fe conductor and show
how the Santa Fe's Illinois Division to Chicago appeared in the late pre-war
years.  Coal fired 2-8-2 are featured prominently as we ride a local freight
from Chillicothe, IL to Chicago and back.  The video also shows railroaders of
the day at work at their craft as well as glimpses of the latest in diesel
power and views of long gone classic Santa Fe Illinois Division depots.

So, Why would ONLY want to go to the swap meet?............I'll try to find out
what the swap only charge would be and post it in this thread. While I am
thinking about it. If you are planning on buying table space at the swap meet
don't forget you have to pay the admission to the show too.

Thank You in advance for your participation,
Sincerely,
Rob Manley