Re: [CBQ] Decaling Shorham KCZ

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Decaling Shorham KCZ
From: "Rob & Bev Manley" <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 23:36:50 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1264570611; bh=FyCuEbTw5SDgulnOloYlRPdy7+ksftvtA4koEFd6prI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=pkC/HSrkmlgpJsQhkVb6BgJNz6tIi2p42tKJ3/kIM1tqBgx5n1N5gWfcRVnP0pvb5I85D00JPqSEonLb2vaQTs1+PDDLqFpkdUpVOH47lM7QLCX8N9ygCm5iibcxFZpV
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Yep, That's the stuff. It cost about the same for that giant bottle as it does
for a shrimpy jar of Polyscale gloss.
Future is Optically clear. Does not need to be thinned. Treat it like any
acrylic coating. The surface should be cleaned with Dawn Dish soap so there are
no fingerprints or dust. Spray in a warm enviornment. When cold it tends to
show more orange peel. Practice, practice, practice. It can run if you lay down
wet coats too soon. Sprayonly the areas you need to decal. Lets say a covered
hopper like a LO11. Completely spray both sides. Spray the upper end near the
roofwalk and the slopesheet. You don't have to gloss the roof or underframe. I
use Microsol and Micro set for the decals. Sometimes I noticed a hazing under
or around the decal. This will dissappear. This is why it's good for
procrastinators. Glosscoat and leave it alone for a day or more.
I use a Paache H with a #1 tip at about 35 PSI. I like to get as fine a mist as
possible. This stuff is about the same consistancy as fruit juice. It flows
real nice.
You can also use it to attach windows or thinks that need a clear mount. Your
work should be level, it's not a canopy cement. The model auto guys use it to
attach etched stainless fender badges and scripts to thier carmodels.

There is supposed to be a way to mix it with talc to create a flat finish. I
haven't done it yet. When glossing a flat finish freight car or anything you
may have to lay down multiple coats to get a higher gloss. Take it slow. It
goes on so clear you almost don't know how much is on the car.

Good luck,
Sincerely,
Rob Manley