[CBQ] Re: F unit number boards

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: F unit number boards
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 09:46:39 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1259682405; bh=GiXBlVZjlXLm85sQTblcTUC7an/YJqAUX9RZXgTd4b8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=nXtt2PSYRXHPYRUQ9+b1KylWPdsfzN6s6WtnaaFjFoX6EXSzzVWndoDNYGa+AS3cN+i7JvDgY7CRmNh5/Na1M4Sk6r6AyAv5Widrn3EC7oYs9d0YhfOiav47dIZ0DXbg
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Kenneth,

Headlight control is trainlined within a locomotive consist meaning
that the rear headlight can be turned on and off from the lead cab
(assuming that control switches in each unit have been set up
properly). The number boards, however, are only controllable within
the individual unit. Under normal operation, rear face number boards
are not normally illuminated. Only the lead unit front facing number
boards should be turned on. However, I am sure there are many
instances when the rear number boards of a consist were illuminated
because someone overlooked them in setting the consist up for
service. I am sure you can also find instances when even the rear
headlight is on (bright or dim) because the consist again was
properly set up.

Keep in mind that on real locomotives, these are manual functions.
There are no automatic reversing headlights in the real world as
there are models. So, the set up and operation of all lights is
subject to rules and the care of the people operating the equipment.
In that respect, the use of DCC CVs to control lights is probably
more realistic. As a matter of information, within the cab of
prototype locomotives, there is a headlight switch which also
controls the dim and bright functions. There is a separate headlight
MU switch, usually located on the back wall of the cab, to set up
which rear head light is intended to be on. There is another switch
to control the number board lights and there is a switch to control
the class lamps lights. On most diesels, the class lamps have three
positions besides off, white for "Extra", green for "second section
following" and red for a reverse movement. The color had to be set
individually at each class lamp, usually from inside the locomotive
hood or carbody. On GP, SD and switcher locomotives, there are
separate front and rear number board and class light switches. In
most cases, if a road consist is making a switching move such as
setting out a car, the headlight on the rear unit which would now be
leading would be on bright and the normal front headlight would be
reduced to dim until the consist again reversed direction.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com