Re: [CBQ] Twin Zephyrs Domed Observation Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Twin Zephyrs Domed Observation Cars
From: Bob Webber <cz17@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:39:20 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1259681983; bh=mvV7B6jSRTlOLH9eNVj8D5CBWj51W0JO8kdtrqjIESU=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:References:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=L/FMqd4bhLW9wTF65GaIWAe/Va7l+x5jkm1tc/+DSrCJARvl5jO06hNT3FmiSV/ZKEHKZlMIeQNuqgRePiD51xIaxkc5lKCqyH3+R3PkOayhznN/NL6dU22+0vZPlm2d
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Scott, the only ones I know of are brass - from Oriental and Railway
Classics.  There might be others, butthose are the two I see.  The
Oriental one can sometimes be found cheap - for quality brass, anyway.

The dome position somewhat precludes car sides, given there is no
real close alternative.  The Con-Cor dome coaches are TCZ cars, the
dome obs is a not-very-close CZ car - but its construction, and the
issues that make it not a true CZ dome obs work in your favor (except
the lack of full skirting).

The problem with any kit bask is not in finding the components, but
in being able to match the corrugations on the side and roof.  The
domes on the Walthers Budd short domes are actually finer than the
BLI domes.  But, again, getting everything to match is a bugger.

At 07:47 AM 12/1/2009, Myers, Scott V. wrote:
>Does anyone know a source for HO scale models of the domed
>observation cars, Silver View (360) and Silver Vista (#361) used on
>the Twin Zephyrs?  I may have to settle for one of the BLI CZ
>models, but looking at the diagrams/photos in the Randall book of
>CB&Q Budd cars (pages 86 and 112), they really don't seem to be
>close to the same cars as the TZ observation cars.  Among other
>things, the offset of the dome on the car length is quite different.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Scott Myers

Bob Webber

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com