[CBQ] Re: C&S Mogul

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: C&S Mogul
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:43:09 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1258573396; bh=EP5ZoSOf3Ls6D7VufdpRDdLHhktliyji/EOretRpyR8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=exf9o8XBZuRag/SLmYRdNkPFWIWynEVV37IR3x2hp5J+AweLY/KNPrJmMMXp/nid6VvTZ6mtSHeNJOroXmdzDTvhaHqf9wkjzgpCx990NJqzLfXJG9Q1mrcYmmRAkkvi
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi John-

I haven't got exact dates at hand, but I don't think the entwined herald lasted
much later than about 1906. Certainly by 1910 it was history. The Lord spark
arrestor didn't come into use until 1915 and was replaced in 1918 by the
Ridgeway. Crosswise air tanks were early features on C&Sng, though they went
through a number of phases, changing position and piping various times. So if
you want to model early (with the herald you like), you can have a crosswise
air tank, but your engine needs either a straight stack or perhaps a
"sunflower" diamond stack (don't recall the proper term). But if you want the
"beartrap," you need the later lettering style in aluminum leaf. You may also
want to consider a dark green boiler jacket.

Many other C&S engine features changed over the years, including tenders and
cabs, as well as the smaller details like headlights and piping. A good source
for you to consult is RRobb's Narrow Gauge Pictorial VI (C&S motive power),
which traces the history of these changes. If you can't find a copy, check Otto
Perry's many photos at the Denver Public library's Web site.

Happy modeling,
Jonathan

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com