[CBQ] Bidding(was Suburban consist question)

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Bidding(was Suburban consist question)
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:04:07 EDT
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1256511856; bh=i3augIHfTYnn3mFnfIgnE1yRpjw3I6/KvQFJYrPtjGc=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-SENDER:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=AJCLx7azs2AUzSEoUiv4WPZl8BK0TvJPOQGeU72z9M4XtR675pXJ4CSOGTjmR/i43j5TmocA2i/BUmPa2vnIt9g1LaiiEYNfwJ/ZaHkFxRsJ9wx6MH1TMBOeFtuHYAAM
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert and all,

Steve summed it up well. The most frequently stated comment I heard on the
RR was "the only thing you have is your seniority". In train service,back
in the  day, the first "trip" you made set your seniority date for that
class.(I  made my first trip on frt 3 months before I took the book of rules !?
It took me  15 months to get "qualified" on Passenger,my Condrs seniority
date was 4 years  after my brkmns.date, but it was based on the day you passed
the exam, not first  trip) From then on when jobs were open and posted guys
submitted a slip of  paper with the "trainmasters bulletin #",job and
seniority date requesting to  bid on the job. If you were the oldest seniority
date qualified in that class of  service you were awarded the job.The same guy
would have a seperate seniority  date as a brkmn,baggageman,Condr,switchman
depending on how many classes of  service he wanted to work.
On suburban and other passenger assignments when the the "time change" was
made each spring and fall the entire suburban list of jobs were posted for
bid  as under the rules the starting times had changed.
Someday I'll tell the story of the time change fiasco in 1979,what a
disaster. Remember the big snow and 21 crews with 30 days to decide where to
work. Talk about lack of crews to fill jobs !?
We could spend dozens of emails covering all the agreements covering
bidding and placement on jobs. It took a lot of a trainmasters clerks time at
each crew supply point and a lot of the local chairmans time.
On suburban trains the rear,middle,extra collector and Condrs jobs were
posted. You could bid on any you were qualified to work. That was one of the
reasons the job postings showed the train consists so the guys knew if the
bid  the "rear" job what type of coaches they would be working.The
rear,middle and  any extra collector each had certain duties,like going to the
coach
yard,etc  that other didnt so it was essential to know which position you
wanted and it's  duties.

As you can appreciate from the small amount of info above this
seniority/bidding was a very complicated matter consuming large amounts of
resources.

Leo Phillipp