[CBQ] Re: CZ Diners

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CZ Diners
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@macnexus.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 08:55:14 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1249912538; bh=8Hs2/dqoT7+8jgbFfsyV6tOgDGh06JG1j9euEMltUfo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Spam-Checker-Version:X-Spam-Level:X-Spam-Status:X-Spam-CMAE-Analysis:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=K28RfhWBq+PDeFg4IlPzXx3zMd1bgxjAirj+kIOB9oL+Itv0edqNYzkeBAGUHvhJ/x7WTRohcTLeHmDtJihWN0r/f+zwURtKDwzxTiAjmmLggMUEC+VJuyamCenV5Kml
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The "false floor" under the SP domes was because the  dome was single
level, i.e. the floor space below was not of sufficient height for
standing room for a second level.  I have no idea where access to this
space might have been.

It was very much early in the days of Amtrak when I made several round
trips to Chicago on the SFZ, at least one of which was with a CZ diner/
SP done combo.  The steward was a former SP old hand who shared some
lively mutual interests , as well as long time friendships with Tom
Lochhead, longtime then-retired superintendent of dining cars for the
SP (and avid O-gauge modeler).  This steward was the one who related
to me this limitation of the CZ diners in Amtrak service, and that
they could not be used on the SFZ without the dome's added storage
capacity.

Just how did the continuing availability (or not) of commissary
facilities in Ogden/Salt Lake, or Denver in early Amtrak days
influence this reported limitation, I do not know.

Hubert's comments on Amtrak's greater demand for ready-to-eat items,
undoubtedly also played a role.

Although I certainly do not recall specifics, I seem to recall that
the Amtrak/ SP domes went through to Chicago for only a limited period
of time, and this probably also represented the same time the CZ
diners were also so used.

Hubert's recollection of working in the former GM&O commissary
facility in St. Louis, brings again to the fore one of the most
interesting a little noted features of the GM&O's dining servces,
their purchase and use in service of one of the Milwaukee's 1938 large-
windowed ribside diners.  Over the years I have seen this car still in
Milwaukee maroon/orange livery in the KC Union Depot, and one photo of
it on the dead line in the GM&O's beautiful red/maroon livery.

Denny S. Anspach MD
Okoboji, IA