[CBQ] Re: CZ Diners

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CZ Diners
From: "Hubert Hanrahan" <domelinerdude@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 14:17:44 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1249827485; bh=0zLeJD6IC0F6fzjHAK8j8mA9F8oveEpe6qAbjg3MC34=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=GiSj0dqGvyG9rzLeHaRtRQIR50cRjZ1PLfGBUCzfJvw4gC3CXApHEAPTr9tMBeID9GSe101CWPXWOszGxy9BLycU+p1vEC2j7+rFw2iJNz4QgfM0dRC+La5rvJLNSCkj
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Denny,

Interesting discussion.

As you know, when the CZ began service the diner ran sandwiched between the
Pullmans (CZ-13 and CZ-12) so it would require a short walk of 200 feet to a
pantry in the Vista Dome Dormitory Buffet car. Not very ideal but certainly
practical.

I used to work at the former GM&O St.Louis Commissary for a Mr. Tony Cermak who
was a cook on the GM&O. This was during early Amtrak years. The Amtrak diners
required alot of canned items, pre-maid bakable pies, etc.  Tony described when
he arrived for work on the diner in earlier years he would begin peeling apples
for apple pies made from scratch.

I understand the needs of a pantry in 1949 were different than the needs of a
pantry under Amtrak.  Storage was much more of an issue in the later "almost
ready made" Amtrak era.

In Kansas City in the early 1970's, we would see ex CZ cars Silver Cafe and
Silver Diner operating routinely on the National Limited.

Do you have more information about the "false floor" under the dome of the
Vista Dome Buffet Dorm cars?

Again, this is an interesting topic.

Hubert