[CBQ] Re: SouthEast BRHS Meets?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: SouthEast BRHS Meets?
From: "Douglas Harding" <dharding@nethtc.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 20:51:59 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1241056334; bh=7V5TXX8Z9gzNP3ClILhcECNhG01enoNizCQrZcL+iFw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:Thread-Index:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-eGroups-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ljYK0SjSB3wTji6secmCAKtb4Fvdor+BNmTbt7jc9j7fC0lXTAVgVV5xS1AlIqapgf4/EdeFQoonNnR6Um1z0o/g1gizMvvePHVOz2z31hs9sy4tZaUPRZmwG1dq9y8v
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Over the past few years the M&StL fans have been periodically gathering to
explore a part of the railroad. Just a week ago seven
of us met in Belmond, Iowa and traced the branchline that ran to Algona, Iowa.
Not much left to see as some of the track was
pulled in 1936, but there was track to study, a trestle where we walked across
the Iowa River, a few elevators, depot sites,
fills, etc. Then we had a meal together and gathered in a church basement to
look at artifacts, photos and slides.

Then comes "where shall we meet next time". The excursions have varied, but via
our Yahoo Group we commit to meet in a town on the
railroad on an agreed date for breakfast. Someone is the coordinator and
prepares maps, occasionally a brief history. Usually this
is a local person who knows the railroad in their backyard or who has a
particular interest in that stretch of track or town.
Sometimes we have had PowerPoints and extensive handouts to study. Others will
bring the info and photos they have, which are
shared over breakfast. Then off we go. Some tours have been walking tours, a
stretch of track or a town, ie Mason City or
Oskaloosa, even Minneapolis one time. Others have been driving tours, for
example one summer day we traced the entire existence of
the M&StL in Illinois, in one long day, stopping at every town on the line. We
have had folks join us from 5 or 6 states. Always
have a nice turnout of 6-15 folks. Always a new face or two.

Granted this works well because most of us are in Iowa or neighboring states.
But I could see the CB&Q community doing the same
thing.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org