Re: [CBQ] Re: TRAIN ORDERS

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: TRAIN ORDERS
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:28:17 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1240932582; bh=UC5RKNHlOZ7qy9o0xNFY7sD3zUj/VA7ibP46c+uXhRw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:X-AOL-IP:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:X-Spam-Flag:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=n6NLHkjzWxD9HUBHTveOKv+AefqIxDg5KFzk5FIlkDsE9i2/yYhgt8GqUeWVYoAKt1APCfAxKSKoxu1kkwYytq6WfdHmrJQLINWLeqd0UcHlME3zs7meEzCp0H0L6zS1
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Thanks guys...My little post envoked the response that I had hoped..All who
replied supplied good and correct information regarding Quiz Kids..,Train
orders and Schaeffer's SCRIPT ink.

I didn't think that anybody would come up with Joel Kupperman but?
VOILA...there he is....My grandfather was a big fan of Quiz Kids and I well
remember listening to the program with him...Joel's name was the only one I
recalled.

More than one...including the "usual suspects"? ie Steve, and Lenny declamed
well on the train order matter...Someone else came up with the reason for the
writing being on the back and seen through the tissue paper..hence the name
"flimsy"...Just a little additonal note re that method.

Remember that in the early days engines and waycars didn't have electric lights
and it was necessary to be able read clearly the TO's via a kerosene trainman's
lantern or very dim oil fired cab gage lights.?? There was also the matter of
these TO's getting wet and the ink on the back side would reduce the possibilty
of smearing or dissolving.? Because of the "flimsy" characteristic the order
could be held up against the light and the writing would show through the thin
tissue paper.

Steve's comments re the "stack" preparation were excellent.? To my best
recollection most operators kept their stacks made up in which the requisite
number of copies were always "at the ready" for instant use. When the DS rang
the station ...The OP answered with the station name..The DS said??
"...station...? 19..copy 5 east.?? You old operators will know that the OP
would reply?? "SD (stop displayed) east.? The DS would then dictate the order
simultaneously to all stations involved spelling out the names and numbers.?
Each station would repeat the order back to the DS in the order they were
addressed.?? The old head OPs had a "sing song" to their repeats which was a
delight to listen to...If you weren't listening closely or didn't understand
what was going on you would think think that they were "speaking in tongues".??
When the repeats had been done to the DS's satisfaction he would say? "Order
123 complete at....time....and sign with the superintendent's initials...Some
roads used the Chief Dispatcher's initials.

I used to sit on the operator's table in the depot at Langdon MO and listen to
everything I've described above.? I was initially fascinated by the use of the
"stylus" as Steve pointed out...I couldn't figure out how anything with no ink
source could write.? Most of the OP's carried their own stylus and also their
own personal "Bug"...(a spring loaded telegraph key).?? Also it wasn't until
somewhat late in the game that the rules permitted train orders to be
typewritten.? The old operators had a bold "script" or "fist" which? readily
identified the person as a telegraph operator...This, I believe was taught in
the Schools of Telegraphy and certainly by the operators as they trained a
"cub".

Steve...you need to do a clinic on TO's and demonstrate the repetition
procedure...It was a thing of beauty...

Pete